[ASA] Outcomes of the Women in Astronomy Workshop 2013

John O'Byrne john.obyrne at sydney.edu.au
Wed Sep 25 09:01:28 AEST 2013

Outcomes of the Women in Astronomy Workshop 2013

The third annual ASA Women in Astronomy workshop was held at ICRAR, UWA on 11th-12th September 2013.  This year's event, subtitled "Pathways to Success", explored some of the barriers that can prevent women from progressing in their careers. It also provided an opportunity to have courageous conversations about gender, race, sexual orientation and women’s leadership.

Over 90 participants (including 20 who participated online) enjoyed two days of presentations, professional development and discussion.

Videos of the workshop can be found here: http://asawomeninastronomy.org/meetings/wia-workshop-2013/.

The outcomes of the workshop are summarised in a brief report, which is attached to this message.

The WiA Chapter would like to thank Renu Sharma and her ICRAR organising committees for a fantastic event. We thank all the speakers and attendees for sharing their views and experience.

What you can do to help the ASA Women in Astronomy Chapter

1) Learn more about the issues that affect women and minorities.
- Join the ASA's Women in Astronomy Chapter and take action: http://asawomeninastronomy.org/action/. Men are especially encouraged to join.
- Look at the Chapter's web page "How men can help": http://asawomeninastronomy.org/action/howmencanhelp/
- Use these resources to think of practical ways to support equity and diversity at your workplace. Discuss them with your colleagues and implement them.

2) We are now looking for expressions of interest to host the 2014 Women in Astronomy Workshop. Past workshops were hosted by CSIRO (Sydney), Swinburne (Melbourne) and ICRAR (Perth). Please e-mail me if you would like to discuss hosting next year's event.

3)  If you attended the workshop at ICRAR, please help us by filling in the short feedback survey available here: http://bit.ly/asawia2013feedback.
Thanks to Natasha Hurley-Walker for creating this survey.

4) We are looking for a volunteer to design a 20-minute powerpoint or keynote presentation on the aims of the ASA Chapter for Women in Astronomy. This could be used by members of the WiA Chapter to present at their work places. Please e-mail me if you would like to help.

5) The AAS Committee on the Status of Women in Astronomy publish a weekly newsletter, covering topics of interest to all who work in astronomy and related STEM fields, not just women. Past issues can be found at http://www.aas.org/cswa/AASWOMEN.html . To join AAS Women List by email, please send email to  aaswlist+subscribe_at_aas.org  from the address you want to have subscribed. You can leave the subject and message blank.

6) Finally, look out for the Women in Astronomy Awards, which will be launched in 2014. More details are coming soon.

I look forward to seeing many of you at the Women in Astronomy Workshop 2014.

Best wishes,

Lisa

Dr. Lisa Harvey-Smith
Chair, ASA Chapter for Women in Astronomy
ASKAP Project Scientist
Astronomy and Space Science
CSIRO

E lisa.harvey-smith at csiro.au T +61 2 9372 4653 M 0467 732 738
PO Box 76, Epping, NSW, 1710 | Cnr Vimiera & Pembroke Rd, Marsfield, NSW, 2122
www.lisaharveysmith.com | @lisaharveysmith