[ASA] Australian SKA Project Director Update [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

Luchetti, David David.Luchetti at industry.gov.au
Fri May 1 13:42:04 AEST 2015

Dear ASA members,

Professor Boyle has stepped down from his role as Australian SKA Project Director and I have been given the task of maintaining his high standards. As Brian's deputy for the last few years, I've had the opportunity to establish a thorough understanding of the issues and intricacies of the international project, and am very much looking forward to the challenge this role presents.

I thank Brian for his significant contribution to the SKA over many years - his enthusiasm and drive will be hard to replace. However, the team in the Australian SKA Office and I will continue to work hard to progress the SKA, maintain Australia's reputation as an international leader in the project, and to engage with all our stakeholders.

To update you: on Wednesday night the SKA Members met and voted strongly in favour of the UK as the permanent headquarters for the project. Two candidate sites were considered, one in Padua, Italy, and the other at the current SKA Organisation Headquarters at Jodrell Bank, near Manchester, UK. Both candidates provided compelling bids and were considered suitable to host the headquarters.

It is my intention to continue to provide updates on international progress through the ASA email exploder, as well as engage more directly with the astronomy community through the ANZSCC's Science Advisory Committee and events such as the recent OzSKA conference in Melbourne.

If you have any queries about the Australian Government's role in the SKA project, I am always happy to hear from you.

Kind regards

David

David Luchetti
Australian SKA Project Director
Australian Square Kilometre Array Office
Department of Industry and Science
Level 9, 10 Binara Street, Canberra City ACT 2601
GPO Box 9839, Canberra ACT 2601
Ph: +61-2-6213 6068  Mob: +61 411 021 135
Email:  david.luchetti at industry.gov.au<mailto:david.luchetti at industry.gov.au>
Internet: www.ska.gov.au<http://www.ska.gov.au/>

[SKA-Australia-logo]<http://www.ska.gov.au/>