[ASA] Rachel Webster FAA

Stuart Wyithe swyithe at unimelb.edu.au
Tue May 22 10:58:15 AEST 2018

Dear ASA,

Please join me in congratulating Rachel Webster who has been elected to the Australian Academy of Science. Rachel is speaking tomorrow at the New Fellows Symposium at the Shine Dome where she will be will be formally admitted. Please join me in congratulating Rachel!

Citation from the AAS reads:

Rachel Webster is an astrophysicist and international leader in the field of gravitational lensing. She has developed a range of innovative applications, and discovered the first quasar microlensing event. Webster has used lensing to resolve the inner regions of quasars near black holes, providing international leadership in the development of new techniques. In addition, Webster led the first all-sky survey for galaxies rich in neutral Hydrogen, establishing the benchmark for these studies internationally. More recently, Webster initiated and guided Australian participation in experiments to detect the first stars in the Universe, building a new low frequency radio telescope as a precursor to the Square Kilometre Array (SKA).

I also note the election of Richard Ellis, who will be known to many Australian astronomers.

Best regards,

Stuart
(ASA president)

——————————————————————————————
Professor Stuart Wyithe | Head, School of Physics
Deputy Director, ARC Centre of Excellence for All-Sky Astrophysics in 3D

Shirley Els | Executive Assistant – Head, School of Physics
T: +61 3 8344 5453   E: shirley.els at unimelb.edu.au<mailto:shirley.els at unimelb.edu.au>

Faculty of Science
Room 104, David Caro Building (192)
The University of Melbourne, Victoria 3010 Australia
T: +61 3 8344 5420 and +61 3 8344 5083
F: +61 3 9347 4783
E: swyithe at unimelb.edu.au<mailto:swyithe at unimelb.edu.au>
W: science.unimelb.edu.au<http://unimelb.edu.au/>

I acknowledge the Traditional Owners of the land on which I work, and pay my respects to the Elders, past and present

[signature_251439514]
This email and any attachments may contain personal information or information that is otherwise confidential or the subject of copyright. Any use, disclosure or copying of any part of it is prohibited. The University does not warrant that this email or any attachments are free from viruses or defects. Please check any attachments for viruses and defects before opening them. If this email is received in error please delete it and notify us by return email.