[ASA] News from 2018 ASM and 2019 ASM host

Stuart Wyithe swyithe at unimelb.edu.au
Fri Jul 13 13:36:12 AEST 2018

Dear Colleagues,

Many thanks to colleagues at the Swinburne University of Technology for hosting a very enjoyable 2018 annual science meeting in Melbourne.

For those members who were not able to be in Melbourne I would like to take to opportunity to announce a new member of the ASA Council. We welcome Yeshe Fenner who has agreed to take over as Treasurer. On behalf of the ASA I would like to thank outgoing Treasurer Kate Gunn for her contributions to the society over the past several years.

In addition to the previously announced research prizes, the ASA awarded the David Allen Prize for exceptional achievement in astronomy communication to ABC Stargazing Live. We were fortunate to host Steve Bibb, Head of Factual, ABC TV, who gave a very enjoyable account of the Stargazing Live journey during the conference dinner.

A number of student prizes were also presented at the ASM. Congratulations to the following award recipients.

Best student talk:
Winner: Sarah HEGARTY, Swinburne   “PerSieve: understanding the role for the astronomer in the data-intensive era”
Runner-up: Nikhil SARIN, Monash University   “An X-ray guided search for gravitational waves”

Best student poster:
Winner: Wael FARAH, Swinburne   “FRB Microstructure revealed by the real-time detection of FRB170827”
Runner up: Julian CARLIN, The University of Melbourne   “Clustering of rotational glitches in the Crab pulsar”

Finally, I would like to announce that the 2019 ASA Annual Science Meeting will be hosted by the University of Queensland. I look forward to seeing you all in Brisbane next year!

Regards,

Stuart
(ASA President)

——————————————————————————————
Professor Stuart Wyithe | Head, School of Physics
Deputy Director, ARC Centre of Excellence for All-Sky Astrophysics in 3D

Shirley Els | Executive Assistant – Head, School of Physics
T: +61 3 8344 5453   E: shirley.els at unimelb.edu.au<mailto:shirley.els at unimelb.edu.au>

Faculty of Science
Room 104, David Caro Building (192)
The University of Melbourne, Victoria 3010 Australia
T: +61 3 8344 5420 and +61 3 8344 5083
F: +61 3 9347 4783
E: swyithe at unimelb.edu.au<mailto:swyithe at unimelb.edu.au>
W: science.unimelb.edu.au<http://unimelb.edu.au/>

I acknowledge the Traditional Owners of the land on which I work, and pay my respects to the Elders, past and present

[signature_1491701763]
This email and any attachments may contain personal information or information that is otherwise confidential or the subject of copyright. Any use, disclosure or copying of any part of it is prohibited. The University does not warrant that this email or any attachments are free from viruses or defects. Please check any attachments for viruses and defects before opening them. If this email is received in error please delete it and notify us by return email.