[ASA] SAMI Data Release 2 now available

Nicholas Scott nicholas.scott at sydney.edu.au
Mon Aug 13 11:11:24 AEST 2018

Dear Astronomers,

The SAMI Galaxy Survey team are pleased to announce the second public release of SAMI data (DR2). This release contains fully reduced, spatially-resolved spectroscopic observations of 1,559 galaxies, as well as a large suite of supporting data products and catalogues. These supporting data include stellar and ionised gas velocity and velocity dispersion maps, maps of star formation and extinction, emission line fluxes, globally averaged stellar ages and metallicities and more! You can read more about SAMI DR2 on the data release webpage: https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/Md4ZCBNZwLiBKlNofz9hhv?domain=sami-survey.org or in the DR2 paper: https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/KGl1CD1jy9t0AOZPu5O8ze?domain=arxiv.org

The data can be accessed via Australian Astronomical Optics' Data Central Service, https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/qe6BCE8kz9tMx6jPUpNHhJ?domain=datacentral.org.au. Data Central provides a fully searchable interface to the large SAMI DR2 dataset, allowing simple object or coordinate searches as well as sophisticated SQL querying across all the DR2 catalogues. Data Central allows easy exploration of the data on an object-by-object basis or facilitates the bulk download of the data. The release is accompanied by extensive documentation within Data Central, https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/-7xICGvmB5iG4L9giQwZzn?domain=datacentral.org.au.

Our goal with this release is not simply to make publicly available a large and detailed astronomical dataset. Our hope is that by providing extensive "value-added" catalogues and data products in a functional database interface we will enable the community to make full use of a large and complex integral field dataset.

The SAMI Galaxy Survey team.

PS We will be updating DR2 in early September to include catalogues of emission line fluxes and star formation rates measured within a variety of apertures, as well as some additional spatially-resolved star formation data products.

--

Dr Nicholas Scott | University of Sydney Research Fellow
SIfA, Sydney Institute for Astronomy

THE UNIVERSITY OF SYDNEY
Rm 360B, Physics Building A28 | The University of Sydney | NSW | 2006
| AUSTRALIA

T 0291142158
E  nicholas.scott at sydney.edu.au<mailto:nicholas.scott at sydney.edu.au> | W  http://sydney.edu.au/science/physics