[ASA] Fwd: Astro Voices (IAU 100 Year Video Contributions)

Claudia Lagos Urbina claudia.lagos at uwa.edu.au
Wed Mar 13 12:11:51 AEDT 2019

-------- Forwarded Message --------
Subject:        Astro Voices (IAU 100 Year Video Contributions)
Date:   Fri, 8 Mar 2019 12:01:29 +0000
From:   Francesca Primas (ESO) & Dara Norman (NOAO) <no-reply at iau.org><mailto:no-reply at iau.org>
To:     claudia.lagos at icrar.org<mailto:claudia.lagos at icrar.org>

Dear Colleague,

We are putting together a short film for the 100th Anniversary of the International Astronomical Union that aims at celebrating women astronomers (professionals and students). We count on you to make it a success!

Below, you find a short description of the project, as well as detailed instructions on how to contribute to this initiative with a short video clip (women and girls) or by simply spreading the word (men). We need to receive your clips by March 24.

Feel free to distribute this message to women astronomers in your networks!

We thank you in advance for your cooperation and apologise should you receive this announcement multiple times (due to the multiple distribution channels we will be using).

Best wishes, Francesca Primas (ESO) & Dara Norman (NOAO)

IAU Astronomers

Astro Voices, a short film for IAU 100th Anniversary
This project aims at creating a short film featuring women astronomers from around the world to be released during 2019, IAU 100th Anniversary year, in order to promote the image of astronomers as an exciting career and to stimulate interest for women and girls everywhere.

The film will consist of an edited sequence of short video clips of individual/groups of women saying into the camera "I am (name) from (country), and I am an astronomer!” in the language of their choice. Some improvisation is also fine – slightly different statements could be “Astronomy is my passion” or “I love astronomy” or “I love studying astronomy” or “I am proud to be an astronomer”, but always with the name and country mentioned. In order to combine as many clips as possible, video clips have to be short.

We aim at featuring women from as many countries as possible, and speaking in as many languages as possible. We hope you will be willing to contribute a film clip of yourself!

How to contribute to this initiative

1. Filming your clip
A video clip can be made on any smart phone. In order to ensure the best quality in the clips and coherency of the compilation, here are some tips:

  *   If you are able to adjust the camera settings on your phone, the best setting is 1080p, though lower quality settings will also do.
  *   Please hold the phone/camera horizontally (landscape mode) and at eye level. Look directly into the camera and make sure that the subject is well lit and well centred.
  *   You can film yourself or have someone else taking the clip. The latter has the advantage to use the camera on the front of your phone (usually of higher quality) rather than the rear “selfie” camera.
  *   For editing purposes, please wait a few seconds after having spoken and before you stop filming.
  *   Please check the clip for clarity of the sound, and try to avoid filming in a noisy or windy environment.

2. Transmitting your clip
Finished video clips should be transferred to us by March 24, via a Dropbox upload of the clip and via a notification email.

Dropbox upload: To upload your video clip, please follow this link<https://www.dropbox.com/request/fPjR4pExQU4YDwZvY061> and click on the “Choose files” tab. This action will allow you to select the video clip directly from the Photos/Videos collection on your phone or from your computer. Once you have selected the clip file, please specify also your first and last name, as well your email address before hitting the ‘Upload’ button. Your credentials will help us associating uploaded clips with the proper author names (in case we need to contact you) and it will allow you to receive an acknowledgment message about your upload.

No personal Dropbox account is needed in order to upload your clip. Please avoid sending us your video clips as email attachments from a mobile phone or as WhatsApp Videos as these undergo massive compression in size, downgrading the quality of the clips.

Notification email: Every upload shall be accompanied by a notification message<mailto:astro_voices at eso.org> stating:

"I, Name Lastname, give my consent to have my video clip edited and used in the short film, 'Astro Voices' to be released on social media and through the IAU Women in Astronomy email lists, in celebration of the 100th Anniversary of the International Astronomical Union. "

Without this consent, we will not be able to include your video clip.