[ASA] Join Oz MESA hub! Potential US travel funds

Ashley Ruiter ashley.ruiter at adfa.edu.au
Mon Nov 25 22:14:46 AEDT 2019

If you or your students/postdocs use MESA (or are interested in using MESA), please see below for how you can support further research or summer school opportunities.

--

Dear Astronomers,

I am writing on behalf of the MESA developers as well as myself:

The MESA team is looking to expand its reach at non-US institutions through a proposal that, if accepted, could provide funding for international travel between Australia and the United States for MESA-related science and meetings. This funding would considerably ease the burden on supervisors interested in sending their PhD students or postdocs to attend the MESA summer school (from which I and others have benefited greatly). It could also be used to cover airfare between Australia and the US for anyone collaborating with a MESA team member.

In order to make a stronger case for the funding and to highlight Australia’s contribution to stellar astrophysics in general (which I believe is quite outstanding!), I would like to establish a semi-formal network of Australian MESA users: Australians in MESA Science (AIMS). This would constitute a “node” in the developing international MESA network, and help justify our inclusion in their funding pool.

To join AIMS requires no time commitment or obligation; it is simply a registry of scientists that use MESA in their research. If you fit this description and are interested in the possibility of working internationally on MESA science, or just want to help us show our numbers, please join the node. No spam emails, I promise!

To join, please fill out this 15 second questionnaire:

https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/eQW5CYWL1viREm6yc0sbkv?domain=docs.google.com

or if you really can't be bothered to do that, just leave your info here:
https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/-qF0CZYM2VFZrAoWHj_IOo?domain=docs.google.com

Thank you!

Dr. Meridith Joyce
PhD, Dartmouth College & SAAO