[ASA] Cancellation of APRIM, and ASA events

Cathryn Trott Cathryn.Trott at curtin.edu.au
Thu Apr 2 21:37:00 AEDT 2020

Dear ASA Members,

You will have seen earlier the email delivering the unfortunate news of the cancellation of APRIM, to have been held in Perth in July 2020. I am sure you will appreciate the reasons for this decision. I want to personally thank George Heald, Barbara Catinella, and the other APRIM organisers, for the work to bring APRIM to where it was, and also their dedication to ensuring the best outcomes for the meeting and the community. They have worked very hard over the past months, and this decision was not taken lightly.

I would also like to thank Adam Watts and the HWSA organising committee for their work to organise the Rottnest Island HWSA in the days preceding APRIM. The HWSA for 2020 will also be cancelled, unfortunately.

The 2020 ASA Annual Scientific Meeting was to be incorporated into APRIM. Given the cancellation, and the ongoing uncertainty in the longevity of travel restrictions, the 2020 ASM will not go ahead in a normal form. ASA Council are discussing possible avenues for any 2020 events. We expect the next normal ASM to be held in July 2021, with the regular full week schedule of talks, meetings and the AGM.

As per the ASA Constitution, the Annual General Meeting will be held in 2020. We envisage this to be a remote AGM, to be held in July 2020. Further details to follow.

ASA Council will also work with the ASA Prize Winners for 2020 to find a suitable time and vehicle for them to deliver their prize talks to the membership.

The situation has been, and will continue to be, very dynamic and difficult to navigate. I hope that we can continue to provide support to each others and flexibility in our work, both as a community of astronomers, but also a community of friends.

Regards,
Cathryn

Cathryn Trott

Associate Professor
ARC Future Fellow

President, Astronomical Society of Australia

ARC Centre of Excellence for All Sky Astrophysics in 3D (ASTRO 3D)

International Centre for Radio Astronomy Research
Curtin University
Bentley WA, Australia

cathryn.trott at curtin.edu.au