[ASA] PhD positions in astrophysics at Swinburne University, Melbourne Australia

Yeshe Fenner yeshefenner at swin.edu.au
Thu Aug 25 15:26:51 AEST 2022

Dear colleagues,

The Centre for Astrophysics and Supercomputing (CAS) at Swinburne
University in Melbourne is currently advertising seven PhD projects that
have dedicated funding. The projects cover subjects including gravitational
wave discovery, fast radio bursts, pulsar discovery, simulations of stellar
populations, and supermassive black holes.

More details about these PhD projects can be found here.
<https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/afrmCZY1NqiMG6p61izYjKL?domain=ozgrav.org>

To apply for one of these PhD positions, submit this* Expression of
Interest* <https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/5e-HC1WLPxcpR494rcGno-d?domain=forms.gle> (EOI) form by *September
30th 2022.* We welcome applications from domestic and international
students for PhD positions to begin in late 2022 or in 2023.

*Note that CAS/Swinburne will soon be advertising another round of PhD
projects for domestic students only.*

CAS provides a vibrant and international academic environment, located in
one of the most liveable cities in the world.  Our PhD candidates undertake
cutting-edge research under the supervision of word-leading astronomers.
The students working on these projects will also be part of the ARC Centre
of Excellence for Gravitational Wave Discovery (OzGrav
<https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/H1smC2xMQzikjY9YLtBxd7I?domain=ozgrav.org>), giving them access to generous travel support
and grant opportunities, as well as a community of over 200 gravitational
wave researchers.

Students have access to internal funding for travel to telescopes,
international conferences, and collaborative meetings. Our PhD graduates
continue their careers at top astronomy institutions around the world.

Swinburne provides a positive and supportive work environment and
comprehensive benefits, including vacation, sick, and parental leave, and
thesis publication and relocation cost allowances. Swinburne is committed
to the principles of equity, fairness and inclusivity and to a workplace
free from discrimination. The University has been recognised as a Workplace
Employer of Choice for gender equality for the seventh year and CAS and
OzGrav are the recipients of the Silver Pleiades award for commitment to
advancing diversity in astronomy. We value our diverse work environment and
welcome applications from all qualified candidates of any background.

Please contact me or the project supervisors with questions.

Cheers,

Yeshe

*Dr Yeshe Fenner, PhD | Chief Operating OfficerARC Centre of Excellence for
Gravitational Wave Discovery (OzGrav)*Faculty of Science Engineering and
Technology
Swinburne University of Technology | CRICOS number 00111D
PO Box 218 Hawthorn Vic 3122
Ph +61 3 9214 8302 | Mobile: 0430 708 995

I acknowledge and pay respect to the Wurundjeri people of the Kulin Nation
as the Traditional Custodians of the land on which Swinburne Campuses are
located.  I also acknowledge all Aboriginal and Torres Strait nations
across Australia, their Elders, Ancestors, cultures and heritage.