[ASA] Veloce Community Science Verification:- Extended Call Deadline to Friday August 18

Chris Tinney c.tinney at unsw.edu.au
Wed Aug 16 14:29:23 AEST 2023

Extended Call for Community Science Verifiction Proposals
with Veloce Rosso+Verde+Azzurro

Deadline extended to: 5pm, Fri August 18
To: c.tinney at unsw.edu.au<mailto:c.rinney at unsw.edu.au>

The AAT Director has allocated the nights of August 24-30 for
Community Science Verification observations with the recently
installed 3-arm Veloce facility.

This Call for Proposals seeks community requests for science
programs using the new spectral range capabilitiies of Veloce.

It is particularly envisaged as a avenue for those considering new
programs using Veloce to obtain example data - e.g. to test whether
the new blue-green wavelength range provides coverage and S/N suitable
for your science goals on [insert your favourite class of object here],
in advance of the 2024A AAT proposal deadline.

Observations will be implemented by members of the Veloce team,
and raw data distributed immediately after the observing run. Extracted
data will be distributed as soon as the existing Rosso extraction system can be
extended to the Verde and Azzurro channels.

Extwnded Deadline:  3 proposals have been received as of Monday. I have been in
contact with those proposers today to clarify their observing programs. if
you beleive you have submitted a request, and have not heard from me, then
your proposal may have been lost in a junk mail filter. Please send it to me again!

If you meant to submit something and missed the deadline, please send it to me before
CoB Friday.

Updated Performance: Updated figures-of-merit<https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/T00ACOMKzVTNGL7ykhEmj1T?domain=docs.google.com> for Exposure Time calculations using
the new cameras are now available in the Veloce Observer’s Guide<https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/doXbCP7LAXf0l1jknF0sORs?domain=docs.google.com>.

Community Science Verification programs should  focus on non-radial-velocity science
with the newly added wavelength range. Extracting radial velocity data from the
Verde channel is expected to take significant development over the new 6 months,
so those results can not be turned around quickly. (The Azzurro channel is not designed
with radial velocity science in mind at all).

Non-radial-velocity data (on the other hand) should be extractable quite quickly,
and so could inform proposals to use Veloce for the 2024A round of ATAC applications.

We will attempt to implement at least some observations from each program
received. If the total request exceeds the time available, a clear prioritisation
within your target list will be essential.

To Submit: Please send a 1 page (or less) description of your science
program to c.tinney at unsw.edu.au<mailto:c.tinney at unsw.edu.au> : including a list of targets observable
at the AAT in late August, S/N requirements at your wavelength of interest,
approximate etimates of exposure times, and a prioritisation for observations in your
target list. Try to aim for 0.5-2n of suggested observations per program.  If over-subscribed
we will try to get some data for each program, so make sure your priritisaiton
is clear. Our observer will adjust the exposure time to achieve your stated S/N
goals.

Cheers

Chris Tinney
(for the Veloce team)

Professor Chris Tinney (he/him) | +61 416 092117 | skype:cgtinney | https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/Nn4kCQnMBZfXx12yLtMC9hv?domain=phys.unsw.edu.au<https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/x2RfCROND2uGVDMzXcO6XcX?domain=phys.unsw.edu.au>
Exoplanetary Science at UNSW. School of Physics | c.tinney at unsw.edu.au<https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/DKdYCVARKgC2vnWR8hQ6GXb?domain=unsw.edu.au> | Still living at work …