[ASA] FW: Inaugural Bell Burnell Fellowships - Applications Due 22 December 2023

Tara Murphy tara.murphy at sydney.edu.au
Fri Oct 6 06:41:12 AEDT 2023

Hi everyone,

forwarding this announcement from ASTRON that looks like a great new opportunity for EMCRs in radio astronomy,

Tara

--
For Head of School matters, please email physics.hos at sydney.edu.au<mailto:physics.hos at sydney.edu.au>
For meeting bookings and signatures, please copy physics.ea at sydney.edu.au<mailto:physics.ea at sydney.edu.au>

--
PROFESSOR TARA MURPHY | Head of School
School of Physics | Faculty of Science

THE UNIVERSITY OF SYDNEY
Room 217, Physics Building A28
The University of Sydney | NSW | 2006
T +61 2 9351 3041
E tara.murphy at sydney.edu.au<mailto:tara.murphy at sydney.edu.au>

http://www.physics.usyd.edu.au/~tara
https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/HAZqCwV1vMfvEkz9WcV7UQC?domain=coursera.org

———————————————

Dear all,

ASTRON is excited to announce the Bell Burnell Fellowship. The fellowship is named in honour, and with support of, Dame Susan Jocelyn Bell Burnell – the discoverer of pulsars, pioneer in the field of radio astronomy, and champion of equitable representation, acknowledgement and achievement in astronomy.

The Bell Burnell Postdoctoral Fellowship is designed to help scientists build upon emerging strong careers as independent researchers. We currently have 2 positions available, and both are 3+1 year positions with competitive salaries comparable to other radio astronomy fellowships. Applications are due 22 December 2023.

While early-career researchers (less than ~6 years post-PhD award) are specifically encouraged to apply, we will consider all candidates regardless of academic age. We will account for career breaks in our evaluation of candidates, including parental leave and care duties.

More information about the fellowship and application procedure is available here (and shortly on the AAS job register): https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/0iDNCxngwOfL5D4w3CvC8AH?domain=werkenbijastron.nl<https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/0iDNCxngwOfL5D4w3CvC8AH?domain=werkenbijastron.nl>

If you or your colleagues have any questions, please do not hesitate to ask me (callingham at astron.nl<mailto:callingham at astron.nl>) or Andre Offringa (offringa at astron.nl<mailto:offringa at astron.nl>). Please feel free to forward this email to other colleagues.

We are very excited to start working with the next-generation of leaders in radio astronomy,

Joe Callingham and André Offringa

Joseph R. Callingham

Head of the Square Kilometre Array (SKA) Science Group
ASTRON, Netherlands Institute for Radio Astronomy

Adjunct Assistant Professor
Leiden Observatory, Leiden University

Oude Hoogeveensedijk 4, 7991 PD Dwingeloo
M +31 629 297 915 | E callingham at astron.nl or jcal at strw.leidenuniv.nl