[ASA] 2nd announcement: MESA Down Under

May Gade Pedersen may.pedersen at sydney.edu.au
Sat Dec 23 10:09:48 AEDT 2023

Dear all,

The application for the next MESA school “MESA Down Under” is now open!

Modules for Experiments in Stellar Astrophysics (MESA) is a 1-D stellar structure and evolution code which has seen a wide range of applications in stellar astrophysics, exoplanet science, gravitational wave astronomy and galactic and extra-galactic astrophysics (please find specific examples in the attached poster). It is the only completely open-source stellar evolution code and most widely used code worldwide. For 11 years annual MESA schools were held in Santa Barbara (California, USA), but this year the school went international and was hosted for the first time outside of the USA in Budapest (Hungary). In 2024 we are bringing the school to Australia for the first time. The format of the school is optimized for knowledge exchange and networking. We are bringing in MESA developers to teach the participants the basics of the code, as well as experts in a variety of fields of astrophysics to provide lectures on example science applications of the code including hands-on exercises. We will have a high teaching assistant to student ratio (1:3), ensuring that students can easily get help and ask questions if they encounter any issues as well as do so in a safe environment.

The MESA Down Under school will take place at the University of Sydney (Australia) from 17-21 June 2024. As in previous years, the program consists of a series of lectures on topics in stellar astrophysics as well as lectures covering the basics and best practices of using MESA and publishing results based on the code.

For more information on lecturers, TAs, topics, and how to apply please check out our website: https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/kliUCwV1vMfvmlML8hVJqxl?domain=maygpedersen.github.io

Applications close 31st Jan 2024. Honours students, graduate students, EMCRs, and members of faculty are all welcome to apply to attend.

Please forward this announcement to your departments or any other colleagues who might be interested.

Sincerely,
May Gade Pedersen
On behalf of the organising committee