[ASA] Call for hub-day hosters: ASA ASM 2024

Clancy James clancy.james at curtin.edu.au
Thu Jan 25 12:17:07 AEDT 2024

Dear all,

The 2024 Annual Science Meeting of the Astronomical Society of Australia will include a “hub day” on Wednesday June 26th. The agenda of this day will be tailored to maximise in-person interaction locally - to meet other astronomers, network, and talk science!

We have expressions of interest so far for hosting in Brisbane and Hobart, and a Perth hub is being organised to include busses to/from major institutes to the venue, full catering, afternoon activities, and of course - a dinner! However, our aim is to have Wednesday hub-day activities in each of the major Australian cities to allow as many astronomically-minded individuals as possible to participate.

We are thus calling on expressions of interest for hosting a local hub day in Adelaide, Canberra, Melbourne, and Sydney. In our experience, a hub requires a small committee of 2-3 interested people per city - we’re happy to talk over what organising a hub involves with anybody considering it.

So if you are interested in getting involved, please contact clancy.james at curtin.edu.au<mailto:clancy.james at curtin.edu.au> by Friday Feb 2nd 2024, so that we can finalise hub-day locations. And we’d love a friendly competition for who can organise the best hub-day experience!

Regards,

Clancy James,

On behalf of the 2024 ASA ASM NOC

Clancy W. James
Senior Lecturer | Curtin Institute of Radio Astronomy

Curtin University
Tel | +61 8 9266 9473
Fax | +61 8 9266 9246

Email | clancy.james at curtin.edu.au