[ASA] Decadal Plan Working Group 1.2 (Stars, Planets, and the Milky Way) - community input

Sarah Martell s.martell at unsw.edu.au
Sun Mar 17 15:18:10 AEDT 2024

Dear colleagues,

This week’s Working Group 1.2 call is being postponed to next Monday, 25 March at 12:30PM. The topic for the call will be survey science.

Regards,
Sarah

------------------
Sarah Martell
she/her
Scientia Associate Professor
UNSW School of Physics
+61 (0)2 9065 2276<tel:+61290652276>

From: Sarah Martell <s.martell at unsw.edu.au>
Date: Wednesday, 31 January 2024 at 3:09 PM
To: asa at mailman.sydney.edu.au <asa at mailman.sydney.edu.au>
Subject: Decadal Plan Working Group 1.2 (Stars, Planets, and the Milky Way) - community input
Dear colleagues,

As part of the Decadal Plan process, Working Group 1.2 (Stars, Planets, and the Milky Way) is seeking broad community input. We would like to hear from you on how well the stars, planets and Milky Way community has progressed toward the goals of the 2016-25 Decadal Plan, what the major science themes and opportunities for stars, planets and the Milky Way will be in the next 10 years, and the resources and strategies we will need for researchers in stars, planets and the Milky Way to be successful in that period.

To that end, we will be holding a series of public town hall zoom calls, fortnightly on Mondays at 12:30 with the following schedule:

5/2 Overall organization: goals, schedule, major science themes
19/2 Science focus: exoplanets
4/3 Science focus: radio/submm observations
18/3 Science focus: survey science
3/4 Science focus: theoretical astrophysics **on a Wednesday because of holidays at the start of the week
15/4 Science focus: optical/IR observations
29/4 Links across the science topics
13/5 Links across the Working Groups
27/5 Review, identify gaps

The zoom link for these meetings is https://url.au.m.mimecastprotect.com/s/5_RwCoV1kpflLmzB1S1dU1M?domain=unsw.zoom.us.

In addition to the meetings, we also welcome your input through the survey form at https://url.au.m.mimecastprotect.com/s/RiJiCp81lrtQNZ8vJuDhAPM?domain=forms.gle before the end of May.

Please feel free to forward this information to Australian colleagues (at all career stages) who do not receive ASA emails.

Cheers,
Sarah
on behalf of WG 1.2