The University of Sydney will be hosting a two-day science workshop at Molonglo Observatory (just outside of Canberra) over 16-17 September 2009, on:
"SCIENCE WITH SKAMP: WIDEFIELD SPECTROSCOPY OF THE SOUTHERN RADIO SKY".
The goal of this workshop is to discuss and develop science plans for the Square Kilometre Array Molonglo Prototype (SKAMP), which will begin new wide-field surveys of the sky later this year. Over the last few years, the Molonglo Observatory Synthesis Telescope (MOST) has been transforming into SKAMP, via the addition of new low-noise amplifiers, digital filterbanks and an FX correlator. These upgrades will provide a tenfold improvement in sensitivity over MOST, and will provide full spectroscopic capability over a 50 MHz bandwidth centred at 843 MHz. Further information on SKAMP is available at http://www.physics.usyd.edu.au/sifa/Main/SKAMP .
The workshop will include sessions on SKAMP instrumentation, HI absorption surveys, radio transients, OH megamasers, low-surface- brightness radio sources, synergies with other new facilities (e.g., MWA, ASKAP, SkyMapper), and a tour of SKAMP itself. Registration and the opportunity to submit contributed talks are now available at http://www.physics.usyd.edu.au/sifa/Main/ScienceWithSKAMP .
Invited speakers (all confirmed) include:
- Matthew Bailes (Swinburne U)
- Geoff Bower (UC Berkeley, USA)
- Frank Briggs (ANU)
- Jeremy Darling (U Colorado, USA)
- Stefan Keller (ANU)
- Ravi Subrahmanyan (RRI, India)
- Rachel Webster (U Melbourne)
Local/Scientific Organising Committee:
- Duncan Campbell-Wilson (U Sydney)
- Joanne Daniels (U Sydney)
- Bryan Gaensler (U Sydney, chair)
- Anne Green (U Sydney)
- Debra Gooley (U Sydney)
- Tara Murphy (U Sydney)
- Elaine Sadler (U Sydney)
- Workshop WWW site : http://www.physics.usyd.edu.au/sifa/Main/ScienceWithSKAMP
- Dates : 16-17 Sep 2009
- Venue : Molonglo Observatory
- Registration : Deadline is 1 Sep 2009 (registration is free)
- Abstracts : Deadline is last week of Aug 2009
- Accommodation : Queensgate Motel, Queanbeyan; book by 30 Jun 2009 (see WWW site for details)
- Further info : Debra Gooley , firstname.lastname@example.org
We hope that you can join us at Molonglo in September.
Bryan Gaensler, Chair LOC/SOC