To participate fully in the Astroinformatics School you will need to have particular software packages installed on your computer. Many of these are standard and will already be present on most machines.
We have included installation instructions below. Please try installing the software before you arrive. We will have some (limited) support available for people who were unsuccessful installing the software. The most important package to install are Python and Java Runtime environment
Here is a list of the software packages you will need installed. If you are using Linux/Mac OS X then some of these will already be installed. There are operating system specific instructions below for Windows, Linux and Mac OS X.
- the following Python packages:
- SOAPpy and fpconst
- Bash shell/Unix tools
- Java runtime environment
The installation instructions for the main packages required are given below for Mac and Windows.
In addition, you might want to install some of the following packages, depending on which tutorials you plan to do on the Friday (see links for installation instructions)
- you can ignore the installation instructions for ipython, matplotlib, numpy if you have installed these already according to the instructions above
- does not work under windows
- S2PLOT (Does not work under Windows)
- TOPCAT (jar file, Mac OS X application)