[ASA] PhD position in Solar Physics at The University of Newcastle

Hannah Schunker Hannah.Schunker at newcastle.edu.au
Tue May 30 11:21:20 AEST 2023

Dear Colleagues,

Applications are invited for a PhD position in Solar Physics (helioseismology) at the University of Newcastle, Australia.

This position is aligned with the ARC funded project Closing the Solar Cycle, with Dr. Hannah Schunker, aimed at understanding how magnetically active regions are formed at the surface of the Sun and their origins.

We are looking for a motivated, independent student with excellent communication skills and a 1st class Honours (or expected) degree, or equivalent. Experience in coding would be an advantage. We pride ourselves on being a gender-balanced physics department who value healthy lifestyles, work-life balance and a collegiate atmosphere. Women and applicants from under-represented groups are strongly encouraged to apply. The student will work within the dynamic and expanding Solar and Stellar Physics group at The University of Newcastle with A/Prof David Pontin<https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/dfuwCL7EwMfklV58GsB-pvG?domain=newcastle.edu.au> and Dr Hannah Schunker<https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/05acCMwGxOt2vDGmwskOvW0?domain=newcastle.edu.au>.

For the full description and application procedure, see https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/FY0iCNLJyQUZwJ1yOfjWHUh?domain=newcastle.edu.au

The position is available for international and domestic applicants, and will remain open until filled. For further queries please contact hannah.schunker at newcastle.edu.au<mailto:hannah.schunker at newcastle.edu.au> .

I would be most appreciative if you would kindly share with your students and networks.

Thanks,
—Hannah