[ASA] [ASA2024] ASA Annual Science Meeting 2024 Call for Abstracts

Moss, Vanessa (S&A, Marsfield) Vanessa.Moss at csiro.au
Wed Mar 13 15:47:52 AEDT 2024

Dear all,

We are delighted to open the call for abstracts associated with the 2024 ASA Annual Science Meeting (ASM), jointly co-hosted and sponsored by CSIRO and ICRAR.

This year’s meeting is being hosted primarily online using a decentralised approach designed to maximise accessibility and sustainability. We will be building on our collective experiences with virtual meetings to design a program that is engaging, informative and collaborative, demonstrating that online meetings can be a valuable and enjoyable addition to the astronomer’s toolkit. We will circulate more information about the format and associated platforms in the coming weeks, and we encourage you to reach out if you have any questions about this in the meantime.

Find out more on the ASA2024 website (including how to submit abstracts):

https://url.au.m.mimecastprotect.com/s/4maACROND2unkvnYjS9UQ-H?domain=icrar.org

To maximise the benefits of this meeting, we rely on you, our community members, to share your ideas via one or more of the selected formats below. Abstracts can now be submitted for the following categories:

  *   Sparkler Talk [~1 min]: A short pre-recorded video designed to quickly highlight a topic of interest and spark new collaborations. Can optionally be accompanied by a digital poster.

  *   Research Talk [~10 min]: A short-form talk designed to cover a specific research topic in a relevant way to the broader community.

  *   Review Talk [~ 30 min]: A broad overview of a research topic or field designed to introduce the topic and update everyone on the current state of the art. These will be given the longest time allocation.

  *   International Connections [~60 min]: A proposed focus session that leverages the unique advantage of global access to an online meeting, extending the ASM’s reach to other interest groups that may not normally be involved. These sessions can be interactive in nature.

  *   Other: We are open to other creative ideas that may not fit neatly into the above categories, and we welcome suggestions from the community to be considered by the SOC and NOC.

We encourage everyone to submit an abstract in whatever format interests them most. Early career researchers having recently completed a literature survey may wish to submit a review talk that shares the benefits of their reading, while time-constrained research staff may wish to submit a sparkler to share their ideas and start conversations with minimum effort. It's up to you! While there will be limited places for reviews and research talks, our online format means we can make any number of sparkler presentations available, so we encourage everyone to submit in that category to connect with the ASA community. Posters will also be open to all (no need for an abstract), with more information about format requirements to be circulated in future.

Registrations will open later in the year, so you do not need to be registered for the meeting in order to submit an abstract. Both pre-recorded and live presentation modes will be available for talks, but you do not need to choose between them at this stage (except for sparklers, which are all pre-recorded).

Submit an abstract here:

https://url.au.m.mimecastprotect.com/s/MxJDCVARKgC0Lx0BNHzhBOo?domain=app.oxfordabstracts.com

The deadline for abstract submission is 17:00 AWST on April 19th 2024,  while the meeting itself will take place during the 24th-28th of June 2024.

If you have any questions, you can reach the entire NOC at the ASA Slack channel: #asm-help<https://url.au.m.mimecastprotect.com/s/5zJZCWLVXkUzg5z3RTKowcm?domain=app.slack.com>, or alternatively get in contact with the ASM co-chairs Vanessa and Clancy (cc:ed on this email).

Thanks, and we look forward to your submissions,

Vanessa and Clancy

On behalf of the ASA2024 ASM NOC and SOC