[ASA] Invitation to join the "3D view of galaxies" online meetings

Luca Cortese luca.cortese at uwa.edu.au
Wed Mar 13 17:41:08 AEDT 2024

Dear Colleagues,

This email is a quick reminder (primarily targeting new ASA members) of the 3D view of galaxies on-line talk series, open to all members of the community, especially students and early-career researchers.

Rationale
Australian astronomy has a long tradition of leadership in studying galaxies in 3D. Starting with early radio surveys a few decades ago and now with SKA-pathfinders, followed by integral field spectroscopic surveys such as SAMI/Hector and, in recent years, the ever-increasing involvement of Australian astronomers in surveys with ESO facilities such as MUSE and ALMA. While pretty much every individual survey team has their own science video meeting, we have noticed an increased demand from the community (students and postdocs in particular) to be able to share their work to a wider audience and engage with colleagues working in different areas (covering both observations and theory) to exchange knowledge and, potentially, start joint projects. As such, last year, a group of us across three institutions, different career stages, and various surveys has decided to initiate a new event with the hope of strengthening the current network of collaborations among Australian institutes.

We are very grateful for the interest and engagement by the community so far, with over 110 people registered and a typical attendance of 20-30 participants. We’d like to thank everyone for their support and contributions so far!

What’s that all about?
These events take place once a month on the second Tuesday of each month at 2:00pm Sydney time via zoom. During each event we have 2 talks, no more than 10-12 minutes in length each, with the remaining 18-20 minutes dedicated to questions and discussion. The Q&A session is the core of these event and we want to give speakers plenty of time to receive appropriate feedback/suggestions, etc. Questions can be asked either via zoom or via Slack so that the discussion can also continue after the event.

Still interested?
If so, please fill out the form at this link<https://url.au.m.mimecastprotect.com/s/mfqTCP7LAXfvrKXgjhzbosj?domain=docs.google.com> to be included in our email list and obtain access to the Slack for the event.
If you are interested in presenting your work, please also fill the form at this link<https://url.au.m.mimecastprotect.com/s/UD05CQnMBZfBEkPV2tPP51T?domain=docs.google.com>.
Please note that this is the only email you will receive (this year 😊) about this event without officially subscribing.

Lastly, please feel free to share this email among your group/team/community!

Looking forward to seeing many of you attending (and contributing) to this event.

Giulia Santucci, Andrew Battisti, Magdalena Hamel Bravo & Luca Cortese