[ASA] Save the Date: ESO-SKA Conference on Baryon Cycle

Deanne Fisher dfisher at swin.edu.au
Fri Mar 15 07:37:03 AEDT 2024

Hello all,

I’m writing to let you know about a meeting that will take place from 9-13 December called ‘Cosmic Ecosystems in Radio and Optical’. The meeting is intended to bring together researchers in optical and radio to build new, or strengthen existing, collaborations that will drive science in the upcoming era of both SKA and large optical telescopes. The southern hemisphere hosts the most comprehensive suite of observational facilities available for tackling this topic, in the form of the ESO, ALMA, the Square Kilometer Array (SKA) precursors (MWA, ASKAP and MeerKAT), and very soon, the SKA-Mid and SKA-Lo telescopes.

The meeting is supported and sponsored by both ESO and SKAO. You can get more information at
https://url.au.m.mimecastprotect.com/s/xXh6CWLVXkUzgvnRVS6Xqq7?domain=eso-ska2024.org

The focus of the meeting is topics relating to the baryon cycle across all redshifts, from z=0 to the EoR.

Science topics include:

  *   The Epoch of Reionization and the sources responsible for it.
  *   Gas flows at low and high redshift.
  *   The multiphase evolution of gas over cosmic time.
  *   IGM and CGM from direct imaging, absorption lines and fast radio bursts.
  *   The dynamic interplay of stars and gas in galaxies.

The meeting will take place at Abbey Beach Resort in Busselton, WA. It will be the beginning of summer in Australia, making it an ideal time for beach front visits. Busselton offers opportunities of swimming with dolphins and visits to the very nearby, Margret River wine region. We will encourage for all attendees to stay at the resort, which will facilitate off-line conversations that may lead to new, exciting projects.

We are currently in the process of contacting invited speakers and expect to open abstracts in late April/May. With a deadline for abstract submission in mid-June.

We are hopeful to be able to provide some travel support. We will provide updates on this in the future.

Thanks so much,

Deanne Fisher & Richard McDermid

(co-organizers)

A.Prof Deanne B. Fisher
ARC Future Fellow
Astro3D Centre of Excellence (CI) Project Lead
Centre for Astrophysics and Supercomputing
Swinburne University
Phone: +61 39214 4996
email: dfisher at swin.edu.au
web: deannefisher.com