[ASA] [ASA2024] ASA Annual Science Meeting 2024: Abstracts + what to expect

Moss, Vanessa (S&A, Marsfield) Vanessa.Moss at csiro.au
Thu Apr 11 13:20:35 AEST 2024

Hi all,

Firstly, we would like to remind you about the currently open call for abstracts, which will close on 17:00 AWST on April 19th 2024. As a note: there is no plan for any significant extension to the communicated deadline, so please ensure to get your abstracts in by this time.

For abstract submission info and more, see:
https://url.au.m.mimecastprotect.com/s/aw8QCr81nytwrPVM2s731wy?domain=icrar.org

What to expect from this year’s ASM
We also want to take the chance to offer some insight into our approach for this year’s Annual Science Meeting. Within the National Organising Committee (NOC), we are preparing an online-first approach with considerations of accessibility, inclusivity and sustainability in mind. As communicated previously, there will be opportunities for in-person interaction on Wednesday 26th June as part of the Hub Day activities, and otherwise we will be running the meeting in an online-first format (with an emphasis on engagement and interaction while maintaining familiar and expected aspects of the ASM).

Some aspects to highlight:
Base platform: For maximum accessibility, there will be a base meeting solution with low technical requirements. This will be built around the official ASA Slack space combined with (most likely) Zoom, with close integration between the two platforms. Questions will be handled exclusively via the Slack. This will be somewhat familiar in format, however we are aiming to optimise the usage of both Slack and Zoom alongside program design for maximum usefulness and efficiency.

Immersive platform: In parallel, there will be an immersive interactive platform with the same content (e.g. talk livestream, sparkler/posters, etc). We will be using the platform Spatial for this, which is cross-platform compatible including virtual reality headset, web browser and mobile phone. This is the place to meet others and interact more naturally - and we’ll communicate about opportunities to do so in VR in coming weeks! We also welcome community suggestions for any additional ways in which we could facilitate useful interactions as part of the ASM.

Content and interactions: Poster/sparkler content will be made available via the Slack with opportunities to contact authors directly and engage in discussions about their content. Making use of the immersive platform, poster/exhibit sessions will be scheduled regularly throughout the program to provide opportunities for interactions and discussions across time zones. We are also hoping these exhibit sessions will facilitate other forms of interactions, such as unstructured conversations with Decadal Plan WGs or ASA Chapters/WGs.

Networking and onboarding: The ECR Chapter of the ASA will coordinate a networking session in the week prior to the ASM to help establish connections amongst the community. We also intend to organise an onboarding session on 21st June 2024 to help familiarise attendees with the platforms we will use, and will communicate more information about that closer to the time.

Hub Day for online: There will be online activities taking place in parallel to the local hub activities for those who will not be attending a local hub in person, and where relevant/feasible we anticipate local hub activities will support online attendance.

International connection sessions: We have incorporated a new format of contribution, in the form of 1-hour sessions aimed to focus on a particular topic and catered to connecting with particular time zones. You can find out more in the abstract submission process. We are hoping the astronomy community will come up with creative ways to use these slots to connect with international communities, organisations, facilities, etc.

If you have any questions or suggestions, you can reach the entire NOC at the ASA Slack channel: #asm-help<https://url.au.m.mimecastprotect.com/s/2wUCCvl1rKiOEpN1AsX6BcW?domain=app.slack.com> (preferred), or alternatively get in contact with the ASM co-chairs Vanessa and Clancy.

Thanks, and we look forward to your submissions,

Vanessa and Clancy
On behalf of the ASA2024 ASM NOC and SOC